Chajita Chicken Sandwich
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1/4 cup onion
- 1/4 cup bell pepper
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons water
- 8 slices whole grain bread
- 4 teaspoons salsa
- 4 teaspoons sour cream
- 4 teaspoons shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Slice chicken breasts into strips. Dice onion and bell pepper.
- In a skillet, sauté chicken, onions, bell pepper and seasonings (cumin, garlic and onion powders) in coconut oil for 8 to 15 minutes or until chicken is cooked thoroughly. Stir occasionally. If mixture in skillet becomes too dry, add water. Turn off heat when chicken is fully cooked.
- Turn on Panini maker or George Foreman Grill. Or set a dry skillet on medium heat.
- Combine salsa and sour cream. Spread 2 teaspoons salsa mixture on a slice of bread for each sandwich.
- Spoon 1/4 of chicken mixture on top of bread with salsa mixture.
- Sprinkle 1 teaspoon cheddar cheese on top of chicken mixture for each sandwich. Put the second piece of bread on top.
- Put sandwich in Panini maker or George Foreman Grill for 3 to 5 minutes or until bread is slightly toasted. If using a skillet, toast for 3 to 5 minutes or until bread is slightly toasted on one side, and then flip the sandwich and press down with a spatula to cook the second side for 3 to 5 minutes or until bread is slightly toasted.
- Use any color of bell peppers for variety.
- Select the lowest sodium products for salsa and other prepared foods. Compare labels between brands as there may be a big difference.
Submitted by: DaVita renal dietitian Heidi from Louisiana.
Nutrients per serving
Protein 22 g
Carbohydrates 28 g
Fat 9 g
Cholesterol 48 mg
Sodium 339 mg
Potassium 431 mg
Phosphorus 274 mg
Calcium 127 mg
Fiber 4.3 g
Kidney and kidney diabetic food choices
- 2 meat
- 2 starch
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
900,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register