1 burger in pita, 1/4 cup tzatziki sauce
- CKD non-dialysis
- Heart Healthy
- Lower Protein
- 1/2 recipe Tzatziki Sauce from the DaVita.com recipe
- 15 ounces canned chickpeas
- 4 small scallions or 2 large scallions
- 4 red onion slices
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 pita bread
- Prepare the Tzatziki Sauce and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Rinse and drain the chickpeas. Trim and slice the scallions. Slice the onion.
- In a food processor, combine chickpeas, scallions, egg, flour, oregano, cumin and salt. Blend and pulse until a course mixture forms that holds together when pressed. The mixture will be moist. Form into 4 patties.
- Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. When hot, add patties. Cook until golden and beginning to crisp, 4 to 5 minutes. Flip and cook until golden brown and crisp, 2 to 4 minutes more.
- Warm the pitas and cut each in half.
- Assemble burgers by carefully splitting pita halves open. Cut a chickpea burger in half and place the two halves inside pita as pictured, topping with tzatziki sauce and red onion slice.
- Add lettuce and cucumbers for extra crunch.
- Chickpeas are also known as garbanzo beans. Compare labels and select the lowest sodium product.
Nutrients per serving
Protein 11 g
Carbohydrates 32 g
Fat 10 g
Cholesterol 48 mg
Sodium 355 mg
Potassium 243 mg
Phosphorus 180 mg
Calcium 75 mg
Fiber 5.2 g
Added Sugar 0 g
Renal and renal diabetic food choices
- 1-1/2 starch
- 1 low-potassium vegetable
- 1-1/2 fat
- 1/2 milk
Submitted by: DaVita renal dietitian Robin from Virginia.
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
851,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register