- CKD non-dialysis
- 2 slices Italian bread
- 2 teaspoons unsalted butter
- 2 slices Sargento® Ultra Thin Swiss cheese
- 2-1/2 ounces turkey, cooked, unsalted
- 2 teaspoons whole berry cranberry sauce
- Preheat grill pan or Panini machine to medium heat.
- Spread each piece of bread with one teaspoon of butter.
- On the unbuttered side of one piece of bread, layer one slice of cheese, leftover sliced turkey, cranberry sauce and remaining slice of cheese. Place remaining slice of bread on top, buttered side up.
- Put sandwich in pan or onto Panini machine. Grill sandwich 5 minutes on Panini machine or until it is golden and toasted.
- If using a pan, press sandwich down with a pan lid. Flip sandwich after about 3 minutes or when bottom is fully toasted. Cook other side about 3 minutes or until toasted.
- For a lower protein meal plan, reduce the turkey to 1 ounce and use 1 slice of cheese. Add more cranberry sauce for extra calories.
- Each slice of cheese is .32 ounces so two slices equals about 2/3 ounce total.
- Dietitian Erica says "Love my Panini maker! I found it at a yard sale for about $3 and have gotten so much use out of it. I’ve heard a George Foreman grill or similar kitchen appliance works just as well. It just makes your typical grilled sandwich a little more special."
Nutrients per serving
Protein 31 g
Carbohydrates 35 g
Fat 18 g
Cholesterol 109 mg
Sodium 455 mg
Potassium 254 mg
Phosphorus 328 mg
Calcium 205 mg
Fiber 1.7 g
Renal and renal diabetic food choices
- 3-1/2 meat
- 2 starch
Submitted by: DaVita renal dietitian Erica from Wisconsin.
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
851,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register