Grilled Luau Pizza
- CKD non-dialysis
- Lower Protein
- 1 Pizza Dough (from DaVita recipe)
- 2 ounce cream cheese
- 2 tablespoons barbecue sauce
- 3/4 cup red bell pepper
- 3/4 cup canned, diced pineapple
- 3/4 cup shredded, cooked pork
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Olive oil (for the grill)
- To prepare the pizza; stretch pizza dough to a 10-inch circle. Set on a floured, rimless sheet (unless you are using an oiled grill pizza pan). Let sit for about 5 minutes.
- Make sure you are using a hot grill. Oil the grill surface for the pizza or use an oiled grill pizza pan.
- Put pizza dough on the grill (no toppings yet), and grill for about 2 minutes. Check bottom for browning, bubbles will form on top.
- When light brown marks are visible on the bottom of pizza, take the dough off the grill and place pizza on the sheet with grill marks up.
- Mix together the softened cream cheese and barbecue sauce. Spread the mixture on the dough you removed from the grill.
- Dice the red pepper and pineapple. Top the pizza with the bell pepper, pineapple, pork and cheddar cheese.
- Place the pizza back on the well-oiled grill or grill pan. Grill for 2 to 3 minutes, until cheese is melted and the bottom of pizza is browned. Remove the pizza from the grill, cut into 4 pieces and serve.
- A packet of active dry yeast is 0.25 ounces or about 2-1/4 teaspoons.
- Compare barbecue sauce brands and select the one lowest in sodium or make one of the DaVita.com lower sodium barbecue sauce recipes.
- If you are not using a grill, use a grill pan on the stove top or use a large skillet.
- Substitute your favorite pizza dough or pre-made crust if desired. Be aware of sodium content. Pizza dough can be a hidden source of sodium.
- If you are do not eat pork, use chicken or turkey.
Submitted by: DaVita renal dietitian Amie from Minnesota.
Nutrients per serving
Protein 14 g
Carbohydrates 36 g
Fat 13 g
Cholesterol 45 mg
Sodium 295 mg
Potassium 260 mg
Phosphorus 174 mg
Calcium 130 mg
Fiber 2.0 g
Kidney and kidney diabetic food choices
- 1-1/2 meat
- 1-1/2 starch
- 1/2 vegetable, low potassium
- 1/2 fruit, low potassium
- 1 fat
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
900,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register