Potato and Egg Sandwich
- CKD non-dialysis
- Lower Protein
- 1 medium baking potato
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 6 large eggs
- 4 whole wheat Oroweat® sandwich thins
- 4 teaspoons salsa
- Reduce potassium in potatoes by one of the methods shown below in the Helpful hints. (Skip this step if you do not need a low potassium diet.)
- Heat the oil in a skillet and add the diced potatoes. Cook until potatoes are browned.
- Beat the eggs and pour over the potatoes. Reduce heat to low and stir eggs with potatoes for 2-3 minutes until eggs are set.
- Spoon the egg and potato mixture evenly onto sandwich thins. Top each sandwich with a teaspoon of salsa if desired. Add sandwich thin top to make sandwich and enjoy.
- Substitute whole wheat toast or a soft warm flour tortilla (fajita size) for sandwich thins.
- One medium baking potato weighs about 12 ounces.
- Double-cook technique for reducing potassium in potatoes: Peel potatoes and cut into thin slices, diced small or shred for hash browns. Place potato pieces in a pot of water and bring to a boil. Drain water then add fresh water. Bring water to a boil and cook potatoes until tender. Drain water and prepare potatoes as desired. The double cook method reduces potassium below 200 mg for a 100 gram portion (2/3 cup).
- Another well-known technique for reducing potassium in potatoes is to cut up and soak potato pieces in water. To learn more about this technique read the article “Lowering Potassium in Potatoes” on DaVita.com.
Submitted by: DaVita renal dietitian Angela from Texas.
Nutrients per serving
Protein 16 g
Carbohydrates 32 g
Fat 15 g
Cholesterol 279 mg
Sodium 318 mg
Potassium 377 mg
Phosphorus 272 mg
Calcium 90 mg
Fiber 6.0 g
Kidney and kidney diabetic food choices
- 1-1/2 meat
- 2 starch
- 1/2 vegetable, medium potassium
- 1 fat
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
900,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register