1/4 tuna patty plus 1 pita bread
- CKD non-dialysis
- 7 ounces canned reduced-sodium, water packed tuna
- 1/4 cup onion
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon Mrs. Dash® seasoning blend
- 1 garlic clove
- 1/2 teaspoon salt-free lemon pepper seasoning
- 5 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 4 pita breads, 6-inch size
- 4 lemon slices
- Chop onion, cilantro and garlic.
- Place all ingredients, except the oil, in a bowl. Stir until well mixed.
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat.
- Spoon the tuna mixture into the skillet to make one large patty. Fry until golden brown and crispy, turning once.
- Divide tuna patty into 4 equal portions. Serve with pita bread and a lemon wedge.
- Koko sandwich can be baked instead of fried. Heat oven to 350° F, place mixture in an oiled baking dish and bake for 50 to 60 minutes, until top is golden brown. Cut into 4 portions.
- For a twist, try making koko sandwich with chicken instead of tuna.
- Lavash bread, flour tortilla or white bread may be used in place of the pita bread, if desired.
- Use 1-1/4 cups low-cholesterol egg product for a lower cholesterol dish.
Nutrients per serving
Protein 27 g
Carbohydrates 34 g
Fat 22 g
Cholesterol 228 mg
Sodium 474 mg
Potassium 280 mg
Phosphorus 250 mg
Calcium 121 mg
Fiber 2.7 g
Renal and renal diabetic food choices
- 3 meat
- 2 starch
- 2 fat
Submitted by: DaVita dietitian Zohreh from California.
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
851,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register