Turkey Meatball Gyros
4 meatballs, 1/2 pita, 2-1/2 tablespoons sauce, 1/2 tablespoon feta
- CKD non-dialysis
- 1/2 cup cucumber
- 1 cup plain Greek nonfat yogurt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried dill
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper (divided use)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1/3 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1 large egg
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 4 whole wheat pita breads, 6-1/2-inch diameter
- 1 cup baby lettuce mix
- 4 tablespoons crumbled feta cheese
- Preheat the oven to 425˚ F.
- Dice the cucumber. Mix it together with the Greek yogurt, garlic powder, dill, 1/4 teaspoon black pepper and lemon juice to make tzatziki sauce. Cover and place in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
- In a large bowl, combine the ground turkey, breadcrumbs, egg, garlic, cumin and remaining 1/4 teaspoon black pepper. Mix well. Using a tablespoon to measure, roll into 32 meatballs.
- Place the meatballs on a greased cookie sheet. Bake for 10 to 15 minutes, or until browned and temperature reaches 165˚ F with a meat thermometer.
- Remove meatballs from the oven and let rest 5 to 10 minutes.
- Cut each pita in half. Spread about 2-1/2 tablespoons of the tzatziki in a pita half, add 4 of the meatballs, 2 tablespoons lettuce and 1/2 tablespoon of feta cheese. Repeat with remaining ingredients.
- Flatbread may be substituted for the pita bread. Compare brands and look for the lowest sodium option. To keep the balance in carbohydrates limit to 15 g-18 g of carbohydrate per serving in the flatbread, may need to cut in half.
- One tablespoons of diced tomatoes may be added to the pita. This will add about 30 mg of potassium to the serving.
Submitted by: DaVita renal dietitian Jackie from Virginia.
Nutrients per serving
Protein 20 g
Carbohydrates 23 g
Fat 7 g
Cholesterol 68 mg
Sodium 274 mg
Potassium 286 mg
Phosphorus 246 mg
Calcium 84 mg
Fiber 2.2 g
Kidney and kidney diabetic food choices
- 2 meat
- 1-1/2 starch
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
900,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register