Veggie Crumbles Pita Pizza
1 pita pizza
- CKD non-dialysis
- 1/4 cup onion
- 1/4 cup bell pepper
- 1/4 cup mushrooms
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 whole wheat pitas, 6-inch
- 3 tablespoons pizza sauce
- 1/2 cup frozen vegetarian crumbles
- 2 tablespoons water
- 3/4 teaspoon Italian seasoning blend
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat the oven to 400 F.
- Chop the onion, bell pepper and mushrooms.
- In a small nonstick skillet heat the vegetarian crumbles with 2 tablespoons water and the Italian seasoning blend until hot and most of the water is evaporated.
- Brush the bottom side or each pita with olive oil, then spread 1-1/2 tablespoons of pizza sauce on each pita.
- Distribute the vegetables and vegetarian crumble evenly over both pitas.
- Top each pita pizza with 1/4 cup of mozzarella cheese. Bake for 6-8 minutes until cheese is melted.
- Check labels on pitas and pizza sauce and select the lowest sodium brands.
- Frozen vegetarian crumbles are a soy product that can be used as a replacement for ground beef. If desired you can substitute lean ground beef or turkey.
- For a thin crust pizza open the pita and split into 2 round pieces. Carbohydrate is reduced to 22 grams.
Submitted by: DaVita dietitian Sara from California.
Nutrients per serving
Protein 18 g
Carbohydrates 36 g
Fat 7 g
Cholesterol 18 mg
Sodium 632 mg
Potassium 350 mg
Phosphorus 280 mg
Calcium 256 mg
Fiber 5.7 g
Kidney and kidney diabetic food choices
- 2 starch
- 1 vegetable, medium potassium
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
900,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register