Apple Cranberry Slaw with Celery Seed Dressing
- CKD non-dialysis
- Lower Protein
- 1/2 medium cabbage head
- 1 medium red apple
- 2 tablespoons onion
- 1/2 cup dried, sweetened cranberries
- 1/4 cup toasted sliced almonds
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1/2 tablespoon celery seed
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- Shred cabbage and chop apple into small pieces. Grate onion.
- In a large bowl mix cabbage, apple, onion, cranberries and almonds.
- In a small bowl or jar combine remaining ingredients to make celery seed dressing; mix vigorously.
- Pour over slaw and toss.
- The dressing is best when made ahead and chilled.
- Celery seed dressing is great with any green salad.
- Slaw keeps in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
- To reduce carbohydrate to 8 grams and 1/2 carbohydrate choice you can substitute low calorie sweetener and reduce cranberries to 1/4 cup.
Submitted by: DaVita renal dietitian Arlene from California.
Nutrients per serving
Protein 2 g
Carbohydrates 20 g
Fat 16 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 12 mg
Potassium 161 mg
Phosphorus 36 mg
Calcium 41 mg
Fiber 2.8 g
Added Sugar 6 g
Kidney and kidney diabetic food choices
- 1 vegetable, medium potassium
- 1 fruit, low potassium
- 3 fat
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
900,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register