Caramel Apple Salad
- CKD non-dialysis
- Lower Protein
- 3 cups Granny Smith apples
- 8 ounces canned crushed pineapple, packed in juice
- 8 ounces whipped topping
- 1/2 cup butterscotch dessert topping
- 1/3 cup unsalted peanuts
- 1/4 cup butterscotch baking chips
- Wash and core apples, but do not peel. Cut apples into approximately 1" cubes. Thaw whipped topping.
- Mix crushed pineapple (including juice) with diced apples.
- In a separate large bowl, combine thawed non-dairy topping with butterscotch flavored dessert topping until evenly distributed.
- Stir apple/pineapple mixture into the non-dairy topping mixture.
- Add butterscotch chips and unsalted peanuts to mixture.
- Stir and serve.
- Approximately 2 medium apples yields 3 cups.
- Make ahead and refrigerate but leave out the peanuts until ready to serve.
- Peanuts are optional. If included, be sure to use unsalted peanuts; salted peanuts will affect the consistency of the salad. The 1/3 cup of peanuts contributes 32 mg potassium and 17 mg phosphorus per serving.
Submitted by: DaVita renal dietitian Darlene from Michigan.
Nutrients per serving
Protein 1 g
Carbohydrates 30 g
Fat 8 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 37 mg
Potassium 105 mg
Phosphorus 47 mg
Calcium 13 mg
Fiber 1.3 g
Kidney and kidney diabetic food choices
- 1 fruit, low potassium
- 1 fat
- 1 high calorie
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
900,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register