Chickpea Veggie Salad
- CKD non-dialysis
- Lower Protein
- 15.5 ounces canned chickpeas
- 1/2 large onion
- 2 celery stalks
- 2 medium carrots
- 1/2 fresh lemon
- 2-1/2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Drain and rinse the chickpeas. Dice the onion, celery and carrots. Juice the lemon.
- Place chickpeas in a large mixing bowl. Mash with a potato masher or fork until combined.
- Mix remaining ingredients with mashed chickpeas.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Look for low-sodium chickpeas. If unavailable choose the brand lowest in sodium.
- Serve on bread or in a wrap or add to a salad, or as a dip for crudités such as bell pepper, cucumbers, zucchini, carrot or celery sticks or low sodium crackers.
- Include as part of a “snack box” with fresh grapes or apple slices for a meal on the go.
- Chickpea Salad is a great substitute for egg salad.
Submitted by: DaVita renal dietitian Brittany from Virginia.
Nutrients per serving
Protein 3 g
Carbohydrates 11 g
Fat 1 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 240 mg
Potassium 195 mg
Phosphorus 54 mg
Calcium 33 mg
Fiber 3.2 g
Added Sugar 0 g
Kidney and kidney diabetic food choices
- 1/2 starch
- 1 vegetable, medium potassium
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
900,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register