Island Shrimp Slaw
- CKD non-dialysis
- Lower Protein
- 12 ounces frozen cooked shrimp, peeled and de-veined
- 6 cups packaged coleslaw mix
- 1/4 cup onion, chopped
- 2 cups yellow bell peppers, chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- Chop onion, bell peppers and cilantro.
- Thaw shrimp and pat dry.
- In a large bowl, mix shrimp, coleslaw mix, onion, pepper, cilantro and 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper.
- In a small bowl combine mayonnaise, sour cream, lemon juice, Italian seasoning and remaining1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper. Pour dressing over shrimp cabbage mixture and toss well.
- Chill for 2 hours and serve.
- If all ingredients are chilled prior to preparation, the 2-hour chill time can be eliminated.
- If you want to “kick it up a notch,” add more cayenne pepper to taste.
- For variety and a touch of sweetness, add 1/2 cup pineapple tidbits.
Submitted by: DaVita renal dietitian Eileen from New York.
Nutrients per serving
Protein 10 g
Carbohydrates 4 g
Fat 14 g
Cholesterol 93 mg
Sodium 192 mg
Potassium 249 mg
Phosphorus 93 mg
Calcium 57 mg
Fiber 1.9 g
Kidney and kidney diabetic food choices
- 1 meat
- 1-1/2 vegetable, low potassium
- 2 fat
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
900,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register