- Lower Protein
- 10 ounces coleslaw mix
- 1/4 cup green onions
- 1 cup red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon jalapeno pepper
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup pineapple juice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- Chop green onions, bell pepper and cilantro. Seed and mince jalapeno pepper.
- In a large bowl combine coleslaw mix with the onion, bell pepper, jalapeno, and cilantro.
- In a medium bowl combine all remaining ingredients and mix well.
- Pour over cabbage mixture and toss well to combine.
- Cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours before serving.
- Look for a package of coleslaw mix with shredded cabbage and carrots.
- Make enough for leftovers. Mexican Coleslaw is even better the second day.
- Adjust hot peppers to your taste.
- Use low-fat mayonnaise to reduce fat to 6 grams per serving.
Submitted by: DaVita renal dietitian LaBonte E. from California.
Nutrients per serving
Protein 1 g
Carbohydrates 5 g
Fat 13 g
Cholesterol 3 mg
Sodium 61 mg
Potassium 125 mg
Phosphorus 19 mg
Calcium 21 mg
Fiber 1.2 g
Kidney and kidney diabetic food choices
- 1 vegetable, low potassium
- 2 fat
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
900,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register