Pauline’s Shrimp Salad
2-1/2 ounces shrimp with dressing, 1-cup salad, 1-ounce bread
- CKD non-dialysis
- Lower Protein
- 1/2 pound medium-size shrimp, uncooked
- 1 teaspoon fresh dill
- 1 teaspoon fresh oregano
- 1 teaspoon fresh basil
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 scallion
- 4 small mushrooms
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 1/4 teaspoon mustard seed
- 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 cups green leaf lettuce pieces
- 4 cherry tomatoes
- 2 slices crusty French bread
- Peel and devein shrimp.
- Chop dill and oregano. Thinly slice basil and scallion. Finely mince garlic. Slice mushrooms.
- In medium saucepan combine wine, mustard seed, pepper flakes, bay leaf, and lemon zest. Add enough water to fill pan 2/3 full. Bring mixture to a boil.
- Add shrimp and cook until pink, 3 to 4 minutes. Drain, rinse with cool water and chill in the refrigerator.
- To make dressing, mix olive oil, vinegar, dill, oregano, basil, garlic, mustard and scallion in a salad shaker or screw top jar. Shake well.
- Place shrimp in a bowl, add dressing and toss well.
- Serve shrimp over green leafy lettuce. Garnish each salad with two cherry tomatoes and 2 thinly sliced mushrooms. Serve with a slice of crusty French or Italian bread.
- For a quick version, substitute defrosted, pre-cooked frozen shrimp for raw shrimp. Make dressing, toss with shrimp and serve on pre-washed bagged lettuce or salad mix.
Submitted by: DaVita dietitian Mary from Georgia.
Nutrients per serving
Protein 20 g
Carbohydrates 19 g
Fat 9 g
Cholesterol 144 mg
Sodium 367 mg
Potassium 405 mg
Phosphorus 171 mg
Calcium 101 mg
Fiber 2.7 g
Kidney and kidney diabetic food choices
- 2 meat
- 1 vegetable, medium potassium
- 1 starch
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
900,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register