- CKD non-dialysis
- 1-1/2 pounds chicken breast
- 1/2 cup onion
- 1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup low-sodium mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 medium carrots
- 1 spring onion
- 1 celery stalk
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley
- 2 hard boiled eggs
- 2 reduced-sodium dill pickle spears
- 1/3 cup black olives
- 1 cup green peas
- Remove skin from chicken and place in a pot with finely chopped onion. Cover and cook for 1-1/2 hours over low heat. No water is needed, as chicken makes its own juice. When done, allow chicken to cool and save broth.
- In a large bowl, whisk together chicken broth, mayonnaise, Dijon mustard, olive oil, vinegar, lime juice and black pepper. Set aside. This is the dressing for the chicken salad.
- Chop the carrots, spring onion, celery, parsley and hard-boiled eggs. Rinse the pickle spear and olives to remove some of the sodium; chop.
- Mix together the chicken, vegetables, eggs, peas, parsley, pickles and olives.
- Cover chicken mixture with dressing mixture and toss to combine ingredients.
- Transfer to flat plate, cover and chill for at least 2 hours before serving.
- Instead of using a pot, cook chicken and onion in a crock pot according to manufacturer's recommended cooking time.
- Use fresh or frozen green peas.
- Choose green olives instead of black if preferred.
- Look for Vlasic® brand reduced-sodium pickles or substitute low-sodium sweet pickles.
- Serve with hot pita bread or French bread.
- If you are on a lower protein diet, reduce the portion size to 1/2 cup (15 grams protein).
Nutrients per serving
Protein 23 g
Carbohydrates 6 g
Fat 30 g
Cholesterol 122 mg
Sodium 224 mg
Potassium 316 mg
Phosphorus 205 mg
Calcium 44 mg
Fiber 2.2 g
Renal and renal diabetic food choices
- 3 meat
- 1 vegetable, low potassium
- 3 fat
Submitted by: DaVita renal dietitian Leanna from Pennsylvania and created by her mother-in-law.
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
851,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register