Picnic Potato Salad
- CKD non-dialysis
- Lower Protein
- 3 large eggs
- 3 medium potatoes
- 1 stalk celery
- 1 small onion
- 1/2 red bell pepper
- 3/4 cup reduced-fat mayonnaise with olive oil
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Boil eggs to hard-cooked stage.
- To reduce potassium in potatoes, peel potatoes, cut into small pieces, cover with water and bring to a boil. Discard the water and add fresh water. (Skip this part if a low potassium diet is not required.) Boil potatoes until tender but still firm when punctured with a fork.
- While potatoes are cooking, finely chop celery, onion and bell pepper. Peel and chop hard boiled eggs.
- Drain potatoes and place in a bowl. Add vegetables and chopped eggs. Do not stir.
- Mix salad dressing ingredients together; add to potatoes and toss gently.
- Cover and chill until ready to serve.
- Dialysis patients on a low potassium diet need to double boil potatoes to lower the potassium content. Skip step #2 if you are not on a low potassium diet.
- If regular mayonnaise is substituted for reduced-fat mayonnaise fat increases to 24 grams per serving. Make this change if you need extra calories.
- Use green or yellow bell peppers if desired, or try jalapeno peppers for a spicy flavor.
Submitted by: DaVita dietitian Michelle from Washington.
Nutrients per serving
Protein 4 g
Carbohydrates 12 g
Fat 12 g
Cholesterol 77 mg
Sodium 222 mg
Potassium 213 mg
Phosphorus 81 mg
Calcium 24 mg
Fiber 0.9 g
Kidney and kidney diabetic food choices
- 1/2 starch
- 1 vegetable, medium potassium
- 2 fat
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
900,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register