Tarragon Apple Tuna Salad with Walnuts
- 1 medium apple
- 1 celery stalk
- 1/4 cup onion
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 15 ounces white tuna, canned in water, unsalted
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh tarragon
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated sugar (optional)
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- Core and chop the apple. Finely chop the celery and onion. Place onion and olive oil in a small microwave- safe bowl and microwave for 2 minutes. Let cool for several minutes.
- Drain tuna well and place in a mixing bowl. Pat with a paper towel to remove excess water.
- Stir in the celery, onion mixture, mayonnaise, tarragon, lemon juice and sugar. Mix until well blended.
- Add the chopped apples and walnuts and stir to combine.
- Refrigerate to chill before serving.
- Serve on lettuce leaves, in a wrap or with bread sticks or low-sodium crackers.
- If fresh tarragon is unavailable substitute fresh basil or parsley.
- Use low-fat mayonnaise to reduce fat to 17 grams. Note sodium content will be higher.
- For a lower protein diet adjust portion to 1/2 cup.
Submitted by: DaVita dietitian Jessica from Michigan.
Nutrients per serving
Protein 22 g
Carbohydrates 9 g
Fat 31 g
Cholesterol 47 mg
Sodium 227 mg
Potassium 338 mg
Phosphorus 228 mg
Calcium 33 mg
Fiber 1.9 g
Added Sugar 1 g
Kidney and kidney diabetic food choices
1/2 fruit, low potassium
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
900,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register