Basic White Sauce
- CKD non-dialysis
- Lower Protein
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup rice milk, unenriched
- 1/2 teaspoon Mrs. Dash® seasoning blend
- Melt butter in a medium pan over medium heat.
- Using a whisk (or fork), add flour and stir for 1 minute.
- Add rice milk, stirring constantly, until sauce is thickened.
- Add Mrs. Dash seasoning and stir. Use white sauce in your favorite recipe.
- Use white sauce as a replacement for cream soup in recipes. Check Mori's suggestions below.
- To make pot pie, double the above recipe and add 2 cups cooked, chopped chicken or turkey, 1/2 bag thawed frozen peas and carrots. Put into unbaked pie shell and bake at 350º F for about 45 minutes.
- To make “mac n cheese,” double the above recipe and add 1/4 to 1/2 cup sharp cheddar cheese and one 12-ounce bag macaroni noodles (cooked).
- To make beef stroganoff, brown 1 pound ground beef. Add 1 recipe white sauce, one 12-ounce bag noodles (cooked) and 1 cup reduced fat sour cream.
- To make chicken and rice, add 2 cups cooked, chopped chicken and 1-1/2 cups cooked rice. Put in dish sprayed with nonstick spray and top with 1/4 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese. Bake at 350º F for 30 minutes.
- To make chicken enchiladas, double the above recipe and add 1/2 cup sharp cheddar cheese and 1/2 cup picante sauce. To 1 cup of this sauce, add 1 cup chopped chicken. Put 1/4 of this mixture on a flour tortilla, roll it up and put in a baking dish sprayed with cooking spray. Repeat with 5 more tortillas. Top with remaining sauce and bake at 350º F for 15 to 20 minutes.
Submitted by: DaVita renal dietitian Mori from Texas.
Nutrients per serving
Protein 1 g
Carbohydrates 9 g
Fat 6 g
Cholesterol 15 mg
Sodium 71 mg
Potassium 46 mg
Phosphorus 22 mg
Calcium 7 mg
Fiber 0.1 g
Added Sugar 0 g
Kidney and kidney diabetic food choices
- 1/2 nondairy milk alternative
- 1 fat
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
900,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register