- CKD non-dialysis
- Lower Protein
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 1 cup fresh raspberries
- 1/4 cup red onion
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon basil
- Wash the blueberries and raspberries and let excess water drain off.
- Cut up onion into pieces. Place berries, onion, lime juice and basil in a food processor or blender.
- Pulse until ingredients are finely chopped. Let salsa sit overnight in the refrigerator.
- Serve with low-sodium crackers or tortilla chips. Look for brands with the lowest amount of sodium.
- You may also serve with homemade pita chips. Split the pitas in half and cut each half into quarters. Spray with cooking spray and bake at 350º F for about 8 minutes.
- A 6-ounce container of berries is typically about 1 cup of blueberries or raspberries.
- Drain salsa through a fine sieve to remove excess fluid if you are on a fluid restriction.
Nutrients per serving
Protein 1 g
Carbohydrates 7 g
Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 1 mg
Potassium 64 mg
Phosphorus 11 mg
Calcium 9 mg
Fiber 2.0 g
Renal and renal diabetic food choices
- 1/2 fruit, low potassium
Submitted by: Recipe submitted by DaVita renal dietitian Jackie from Virginia.
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
851,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register