Chile Colorado Sauce (Basic Red Chili Sauce)
- CKD non-dialysis
- Lower Protein
- 3 tablespoons onion
- 1 garlic clove
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose white flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground oregano
- 1/2 cup dried red chile powder (ancho or pasilla)
- 2-1/2 cups water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Finely chop onion and mince garlic.
- In a medium saucepan heat canola oil and sauté onions and garlic until tender.
- Stir in the flour until blended; add the cumin and oregano. Cook and stir for 3 minutes then remove from heat.
- Add chili powder and stir to blend. Return pan to heat and add 2-1/2 cups water, salt and sugar.
- Heat sauce to a boil, stirring constantly. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Refrigerate sauce until ready to use. Makes 2-1/2 cups.
- Chili powder burns easily so stir frequently and be careful not to let your pan get too hot.
- Make chili powder from dried chilies or use store bought chili powder. Be aware, chili powder has added salt so sodium content will be higher. Omit the 1/4 teaspoon of salt if chili powder is used.
- Sauce keeps for 1 week in the refrigerator.
- Use this sauce to make the Chile Colorado recipe from DaVita.com.
Submitted by: DaVita renal dietitian Letty from Texas
Nutrients per serving
Protein 1 g
Carbohydrates 5 g
Fat 3 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 63 mg
Potassium 167 mg
Phosphorus 17 mg
Calcium 11 mg
Fiber 1.5 g
Added Sugar 0 g
Kidney and kidney diabetic food choices
- 1/2 vegetable, medium potassium
- 1/2 fat
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
900,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register