- CKD non-dialysis
- 8 ounces ground pork, uncooked
- 3/4 teaspoon ground sage
- 1/2 teaspoon ground basil
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1-1/3 cups liquid nondairy creamer
- 2 tablespoons unsalted margarine
- In a medium bowl, mix ground pork with sage, basil, pepper, fennel seeds and pepper.
- Brown the pork mixture in a skillet over medium heat. Drain, remove from pan and set aside.
- In a small bowl, mix cornstarch with 1/3-cup creamer and stir until smooth.
- Melt margarine over low heat in the same skillet used for cooking the pork. Add cornstarch mixture and remaining nondairy creamer to margarine and cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens and bubbles.
- Add pork and heat thoroughly. Serve over a hot biscuit or toasted bread.
- Country Gravy with biscuits are tasty with eggs or omelets.
- This gravy is much loser in sodium compared to a traditional gravy recipe.
Nutrients per serving
Protein 6 g
Carbohydrates 8 g
Fat 11 g
Cholesterol 20 mg
Sodium 40 mg
Potassium 105 mg
Phosphorus 68 mg
Calcium 11 mg
Fiber 0.1 g
Renal and renal diabetic food choices
- 1 meat
- 1 fat
Submitted by: DaVita dietitian Barb in North Carolina.
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
851,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register