Creamy Cauliflower Sauce
- CKD non-dialysis
- Lower Protein
- 4 cups cauliflower florets
- 1 whole garlic head (bulb)
- 1/3 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1/4 cup + 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- Pre-heat the oven to 400° F.
- Peel the out layers of the garlic head. Slice the tip off to expose the top of the garlic cloves. Drizzle with 1 teaspoon olive oil. Wrap the garlic head in aluminum foil, place in the oven and roast for 30 minutes.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add cauliflower florets and boil until tender. Drain the cauliflower and let cool.
- Add the cauliflower to a food processor or blender. Squeeze roasted garlic cloves from skins and add to the cauliflower along with the nutritional yeast, almond milk and black pepper. Process or blend the ingredients while drizzling olive oil through the top of the food processor/blender until the sauce is creamy.
- Serve Creamy Cauliflower Sauce as a replacement for Alfredo or cheese sauce, on pasta, pizza or as a dipping sauce.
- Add additional almond milk to thin to desired consistency of sauce is too thick.
- Fresh roasted garlic adds flavor and depth to the sauce. Garlic powder or fresh raw garlic may be substituted for faster preparation.
- Consider roasting garlic regularly to have on hand to add flavor to just about anything-meats, sauces, and vegetables, even spread on toast.
Submitted by: DaVita dietitian Brittany from Virginia.
Nutrients per serving
Protein 3 g
Carbohydrates 5 g
Fat 8 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 33 mg
Potassium 240 mg
Phosphorus 55 mg
Calcium 56 mg
Fiber 1.8 g
Kidney and kidney diabetic food choices
1 vegetable, medium potassium
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
900,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register