Grilled Pineapple Salsa
- CKD non-dialysis
- Lower Protein
- 5 slices canned pineapple
- 1 small fresh pear
- 1/2 red bell pepper
- 2 slices red onion
- Drain the pineapple slices. Wash the pear and cut into wedges. Wash the bell pepper and cut into strips. Heat a grill pan over medium heat.
- Spray the grill pan with cooking spray and place fruit and vegetables in the pan. (You may have to cook in two batches.) Cook about 5 minutes per side, until slightly browned.
- Place cooked pineapple, pear, pepper and onion in a food processor or blender. Pulse until coarsely chopped.
- Let salsa sit in the refrigerator overnight.
- Serve with low-sodium crackers or tortilla chips. Look for brands with the lowest amount of sodium.
- You may also serve with homemade pita chips. Split the pitas in half and cut each half into quarters. Spray with cooking spray and bake in a 350º F oven for about 8 minutes.
- Drain salsa through a fine sieve to remove fluid if you are on a fluid restriction.
- If desired use fresh instead of canned pineapple.
Submitted by: Recipe submitted by DaVita renal dietitian Jackie from Virginia.
Nutrients per serving
Protein 0 g
Carbohydrates 10 g
Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 1 mg
Potassium 112 mg
Phosphorus 12 mg
Calcium 10 mg
Fiber 1.7 g
Kidney and kidney diabetic food choices
- 1/2 fruit, low potassium
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
900,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register