- CKD non-dialysis
- Lower Protein
- 1 medium onion
- 1 medium tomato
- 1/4 bunch of cilantro
- 1 small jalapeno pepper
- 1 lime
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Chop the onion, tomato, cilantro and jalapeno into small pieces. Combine in a bowl.
- Juice the lime. Add the lime juice, olive oil, salt and pepper to the vegetable mixture.
- Let the salsa marinade for 15 minutes or more.
- Serve with low-sodium tortilla chips or use as a topping on fish, chicken, meat or salad.
- Use red, white or yellow onion in this recipe.
- The firmer the tomato, the better for this recipe.
- The jalapeno is optional, or you may use another hot pepper of your choice.
- A lime will produce about 2 tablespoons of juice.
- Kosher salt and fresh ground pepper give a better flavor, if they are available.
- Use a food processor to chop the vegetables if desired.
Nutrients per serving
Protein 0 g
Carbohydrates 3 g
Fat 1 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 52 mg
Potassium 103 mg
Phosphorus 13 mg
Calcium 9 mg
Fiber 0.7 g
Renal and renal diabetic food choices
1/2 vegetable, medium potassium
Submitted by: Dietitian Matilde from Texas
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
851,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register