Pickled Mustard Seeds
- CKD non-dialysis
- Lower Protein
- 1/2 cup yellow mustard seeds
- 3/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Place the mustard seeds, vinegar and water in a bowl and soak overnight. The seeds will swell up and become more pungent and flavorful the longer they soak.
- Place the soaked mustard seed mixture in a saucepan and add the salt, turmeric and honey. Cook on medium heat until the mixture starts to bubble. Turn heat down to medium low. Continue to stir often and cook for another 15 minutes. Add a little more vinegar if the mixture gets too thick.
- Take off the heat and cool. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Add more turmeric or honey to taste or red pepper flakes if you want it spicy.
- If mustard seeds are too thick, mix in a little more vinegar.
- Use a good quality mustard seed. Poor quality or old seeds taste very bitter.
- You can experiment with different vinegars (white, champagne, rice wine, red wine) or different types of mustard seeds (black or brown).
- Try Pickled Mustard Seeds on boiled eggs, in salad dressings, with pork, chicken, seafood, salmon, roasted vegetables, sandwiches, or anything that you like mustard on.
Submitted by: DaVita dietitian Nicole from Virginia.
Nutrients per serving
Protein 1 g
Carbohydrates 2 g
Fat 1 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 74 mg
Potassium 33 mg
Phosphorus 26 mg
Calcium 9 mg
Fiber 0.4 g
Kidney and kidney diabetic food choices
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
900,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register