- CKD non-dialysis
- Lower Protein
- 1 green bell pepper
- 1/2 medium onion
- 8 garlic cloves
- 3/4 cup canned roasted red pepper
- 1 cup fresh cilantro
- 1 recao leaf (found in Spanish store)
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Seed bell pepper. Cut bell pepper and onion into pieces.
- Place green pepper, onion and garlic in a blender or food processor to chop.
- Rinse roasted peppers then add roasted red pepper, cilantro, recao leaf, water and olive oil to food processor.
- Blend into a sauce-like consistency. Add more water for desired consistency.
- Add 2 tablespoons Sofrito to meat and rice dishes for added flavor and seasoning.
- One bell pepper is equal to 3/4 cup when chopped.
- Look for recao leaf in Spanish stores. Bay leaf may be substituted if the recao leaf is unavailable.
- 3/4 cup canned red pepper is approximately 4 ounces. It is sold in different sized cans or bottles. Rinse to remove some of the sodium. Check nutrition label and choose brand lowest in sodium
- Refrigerate for up to 1 week.
Submitted by: DaVita renal dietitian Tahseen from Florida.
Nutrients per serving
Protein 0 g
Carbohydrates 1 g
Fat 3 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 91 mg
Potassium 37 mg
Phosphorus 7 mg
Calcium 8 mg
Fiber 0.3 g
Kidney and kidney diabetic food choices
- 1/2 vegetable, low potassium
- 1/2 fat
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
900,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register