- CKD non-dialysis
- 3 garlic cloves
- 2 red jalapeno chili peppers
- 1/4 cup white distilled vinegar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 14 tablespoons water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- Peel garlic cloves and de-seed peppers.
- In the blender, purée together all the ingredients, except cornstarch and 2 tablespoons of the water.
- Transfer the mixture to a saucepan and bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Lower the heat to medium and simmer until the mixture thickens, and the garlic and pepper begin to soften, about 3 minutes.
- Combine the cornstarch and 2 tablespoons water to make a slurry.
- Whisk in the cornstarch mixture and continue to simmer one more minute.
- Let cool completely before storing in a glass jar in the refrigerator.
- Most comparable bottled sauces contain 400 mg sodium for a 2 tablespoon serving.
- Use Serrano or other chili pepper variety of choice. Skip de-seeding for more heat.
- The cornstarch will help the sauce to thicken slightly, causing nice suspension of the garlic-pepper bits; otherwise, you get a thin sauce with all the little pieces floating on the surface.
Nutrients per serving
Protein 0 g
Carbohydrates 14 g
Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 68 mg
Potassium 14 mg
Phosphorus 3 mg
Calcium 3 mg
Fiber 0.1 g
Renal and renal diabetic food choices
- 1/2 high calorie
Submitted by: DaVita renal dietitian Erin from Washington.
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
851,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register