Tofu Cream Cheez
- CKD non-dialysis
- Heart Healthy
- 1 cup slivered almonds, no skins
- 8 ounces tofu, regular or firm
- 4 teaspoons lemon juice
- 4 teaspoons white or rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon capers
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 2 tablespoons chives or green onions
- Soak nuts in hot water for an hour; drain off the water.
- Lightly squeeze excess water from the tofu in a paper towel.
- Blend all ingredients except the chives/green onions in a food processor until smooth.
- Chop the chives or green onions and mix into tofu mixture with a spoon.
- Use as a spread on bagels, toast, or crackers. Or use as a dip for fresh veggies.
- Nuts can be part of a kidney friendly diet. New research shows our bodies do not absorb all of the phosphorus in plant-based foods.
- May substitute raw cashews for almonds.
- Try various herbs in place of chives, such as dill, basil or parsley.
- Store in a container in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.
- Analysis is for the spread only, does not include any crackers, bread or vegetables used with the spread.
Submitted by: DaVita dietitian Holly from Nevada.
Nutrients per serving
Protein 6 g
Carbohydrates 4 g
Fat 8 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 27 mg
Potassium 147 mg
Phosphorus 99 mg
Calcium 120 mg
Fiber 2.0 g
Added Sugar 0 g
Kidney and kidney diabetic food choices
- 1 protein
- 1/2 fat
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
900,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register