White Gravy for Casseroles or Pot Pies
- CKD non-dialysis
- Lower Protein
- 2 tablespoons unsalted margarine
- 1/4 cup onion
- 1 tablespoon celery
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose white flour
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup liquid nondairy creamer
- Finesly chop onion and celery.
- Melt margarine in a nonstick frying pan.
- Saute onion and celery in margarine until soft. Stir in flour, poultry seasoning and pepper. Stir over low heat for one minute.
- Add nondairy creamer, 1/4 cup at a time and stir until thickened. Ready for use in casserole or pot pie.
- Use this gravy instead of canned cream soup, as the sodium content is much lower. Change the flavor by adding various herbs and spices.
Submitted by: Recipe from "Cooking for David: A Culinary Dialysis Cookbook" by Sara Colman RD, CDE and Dorothy Gordon BS, RN. Submitted by DaVita dietitian Sara from California.
Nutrients per serving
Protein 1 g
Carbohydrates 5 g
Fat 5 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 23 mg
Potassium 41 mg
Phosphorus 24 mg
Calcium 39 mg
Fiber 0.3 g
Kidney and kidney diabetic food choices
- 1/2 nondairy milk substitute
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
900,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register