- CKD non-dialysis
- Lower Protein
- Heart Healthy
- 12 large shrimp, frozen, cooked, peeled
- 2 green onions
- 1 medium tomato
- 1 medium yellow banana pepper
- 1 small fresh hot chili pepper
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons distilled white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup fresh pineapple
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Thaw the shrimp and discard the tails. Chop into bite-sized pieces.
- In a food processor, add green onions, tomato, peppers and cilantro; pulse on-off button to chop to a very coarse consistency. Chunky texture is desired. Add lime juice, vinegar and garlic powder to the mixture.
- Place mixture in a serving bowl and add the chopped shrimp and olive oil.
- Peel and core the fresh pineapple. Place in the food processor and pulse to chop to coarse consistency. Add pineapple to the bowl with shrimp and vegetables. Fold ingredients together.
- Chill for 30 minutes or more before serving
- Substitute one-quarter of a medium white onion for green onions if desired.
- Recipe can be prepared one day ahead and served the next day.
- Serving suggestions:
- Serve over a mixture of cooked rice and peas (2 cups cooked rice plus 1/3 cup boiled sweet green peas).
- Serve as an appetizer with low sodium crackers.
- Serve over fish as a salsa.
Nutrients per serving
Protein 4 g
Carbohydrates 5 g
Fat 3 g
Cholesterol 21 mg
Sodium 115 mg
Potassium 146 mg
Phosphorus 43 mg
Calcium 20 mg
Fiber 1.1 g
Renal and renal diabetic food choices
- 1/2 meat
- 1 vegetable, low potassium
Submitted by: DaVita renal dietitian Karon from Florida.
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
851,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register