Creamy Shrimp and Broccoli Fettuccine
- 4 ounces fettuccine, uncooked
- 1-3/4 cup broccoli florets
- 3/4 pound frozen medium shrimp
- 1 garlic clove
- 10 ounces cream cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 3/4 teaspoon ground peppercorns
- 1/4 cup half & half creamer
- 1/4 cup red bell pepper
- Cook pasta according to directions, omitting salt.
- Add broccoli during last 3 minutes of cooking. Drain. Keep warm.
- Over medium heat, cook and stir shrimp and garlic 2 to 3 minutes in a large nonstick skillet until shrimp are heated through.
- Add cream cheese, garlic powder, lemon juice, ground peppercorns and half & half. Cook and stir 2 minutes.
- Toss pasta and shrimp mixture. Sprinkle with bell pepper.
- Instead of shrimp, you can substitute 3/4 pound of fresh, boneless chicken strips, cooked 6 minutes.
- Use low-fat cream cheese to reduce fat to 15 grams, however sodium increases to 466 mg per serving.
- Look for half & half or nondairy creamer without phosphate additives.
Submitted by: DaVita renal dietitian Jean from Colorado.
Nutrients per serving
Protein 27 g
Carbohydrates 28 g
Fat 28 g
Cholesterol 213 mg
Sodium 374 mg
Potassium 469 mg
Phosphorus 335 mg
Calcium 157 mg
Fiber 2.6 g
Kidney and kidney diabetic food choices
- 3 meat
- 1-1/2 starch
- 1 vegetable, medium potassium
- 1/2 dairy
- 2 fat
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
900,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register