Crunchy Oven-Fried Catfish
- 1 egg white
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cornmeal
- 1/4 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1 teaspoon salt-free Cajun seasoning
- 1 pound catfish fillets
- Heat oven to 450° F.
- Spray the surface of a flat, nonstick baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Beat the egg white in a shallow bowl until very soft peaks form. Do not over-beat.
- Place flour on a sheet of wax paper.
- On a separate sheet of wax paper, combine the cornmeal, panko and Cajun seasoning.
- Cut catfish fillet so you have a total of 4 pieces. Dip the fish in the flour and shake off excess.
- Dip flour coated fish in the egg white, then roll in the cornmeal mixture.
- Place fish on the baking pan, and repeat steps 6 to 9 with all the fish fillets.
- Spray the tops of the fish fillets with cooking spray and bake for 10 to 12 minutes, until the bottom of the fillets are browned and the fish is sizzling. Remove pan from the oven and turn fish over.
- Return fish to oven and bake about 5 minutes longer until fillets are browned and crisp.
- Try DaVita Salt-free Cajun Seasoning.
- Other suggested salt-free Cajun seasonings include Andy Roo’s® The Stuff with No Salt or Benoit’s® spicy salt-free Cajun seasoning or Mrs. Dash® Extra Spicy seasoning blend.
- Panko is a variety of Japanese bread crumbs used for coating fried foods. It can be found in most Asian markets and many supermarkets. If unavailable, substitute unseasoned dry bread crumbs.
Submitted by: DaVita dietitian Sharon from Louisiana.
Nutrients per serving
Protein 22 g
Carbohydrates 19 g
Fat 10 g
Cholesterol 53 mg
Sodium 124 mg
Potassium 401 mg
Phosphorus 262 mg
Calcium 26 mg
Fiber 1.2 g
Kidney and kidney diabetic food choices
- 3 meat
- 1 starch
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
900,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register