1 cup plus 6 crackers
- CKD non-dialysis
- Lower Protein
- Heart Healthy
- 1-1/2 pounds fresh tilapia fillets
- 1 cup red onion
- 1/2 cup red bell pepper
- 1/4 cup cilantro
- 1 cup pineapple
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1-1/4 cups fresh lime juice
- 48 saltine crackers with unsalted tops
- Chop onion, bell pepper and cilantro. Dice pineapple. Cube tilapia into small chunks.
- Broil the tilapia cubes on high for 3 minutes per side.
- Cool tilapia for 5 minutes then pour fresh lime juice over it and mix well. Be sure that all of the pieces of tilapia are completely covered with the lime juice.
- Mix the bell pepper, onion, cilantro, pineapple, black pepper and canola oil with the cooked tilapia.
- Cover and place in refrigerator to marinate for at least 2 hours.
- Serve each portion with 6 saltine creackers with unsalted tops.
- As an appetizer, serve in a martini glass with 1/4 cup ceviche and garnish with saltine crackers with unsalted tops along with some cilantro leaves.
- One lime yields 2 tablespoons lime juice. Ten limes are needed for this recipe.
- Substitute pineapple tidbits canned in juice if fresh pineapple is unavailable.
Nutrients per serving
Protein 19 g
Carbohydrates 20 g
Fat 7 g
Cholesterol 36 mg
Sodium 168 mg
Potassium 374 mg
Phosphorus 162 mg
Calcium 43 mg
Fiber 1.3 g
Renal and renal diabetic food choices
- 2 meat
- 1 vegetable, medium potassium
- 1 starch
Submitted by: DaVita renal dietitian Cheryl from New York.
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
851,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register