Mahi Fish on the Green
3 ounces fish, 1/2-cup green sauce and 3/4-cup rice
- Higher Potassium
- 6 garlic cloves
- 4 shallots
- 3/4 cup onion
- 1 whole jalapeno pepper, seeded
- 1 small zucchini
- 1/3 cup mushroom pieces
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/4 cup fresh oregano leaves
- 2 tablespoons white wine
- 1 pound mahi mahi fillets
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 cups white rice, cooked
- In a small food processor, chop garlic cloves, shallots, 1/2 cup onion and jalapeno pepper. Julienne zucchini. Dice mushrooms.
- In a large sauté pan, heat olive oil over medium heat and add the bay leaves.
- Add jalapeno mixture and sauté for 2 minutes.
- Add julienne zucchini and fresh oregano; continue to sauté for 1 minute.
- Add white wine and 2 tablespoons water; stir and remove from heat.
- In a medium saucepan, heat 1-1/2 cups water to a boil. Add mahi mahi fillets, reduce heat to a simmer and cover. Poach fish 10 to 15 minutes, until opaque throughout.
- While fish is poaching, mince the remaining onion. Heat butter in a small pan and sauté onion with mushrooms and until tender.
- Remove bay leaves. Divide zucchini mixture among 4 serving plates and place fish on top of green sauce. Top with sautéed mushrooms and onion. Place 3/4 cup rice on each plate and serve.
- Remove seeds from pepper unless you like extra heat.
- Add dessert for a complete meal.
- For a low-protein diet, adjust the fish portion to match your meal plan
Submitted by: DaVita dietitian Michelle from California.
Nutrients per serving
Protein 26 g
Carbohydrates 50 g
Fat 21 g
Cholesterol 96 mg
Sodium 146 mg
Potassium 772 mg
Phosphorus 259 mg
Calcium 118 mg
Fiber 3.5 g
Kidney and kidney diabetic food choices
- 3 meat
- 2-1/2 starch
- 1 vegetable, medium potassium
- 2 fat
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
900,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register