- 2 pounds raw shrimp
- 2 cups onion
- 1 green bell pepper
- 1 bunch parsley
- 4 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons salt-free Cajun seasoning
- 1/2 cup to 1 cup all-purpose white flour
- 1 quart oil for frying
- Finely chop shrimp, onion, bell pepper and parsley. Beat eggs.
- Mix all of the ingredients except flour together in a mixing bowl.
- After mixing, gradually add flour. Continue adding flour a little at a time until mix gets thick and hangs on to the spoon.
- To deep fry, heat oil in a large skillet or deep-fryer. Drop medium-sized spoonfuls of shrimp batter into hot oil and cook until browned and crisp on both sides.
- Remove from oil and drain on paper towels. Serve hot.
- Suggested Cajun seasonings include homemade Salt-free Cajun Seasoning on DaVita.com, Mrs. Dash Cajun seasoning blend or Benoit’s Best Salt-Free Cajun seasoning. Avoid products with potassium chloride.
- Instead of frying you can form batter into patties and bake on a greased baking sheet at 350° F until golden brown.
- Try crab or crawfish instead of shrimp. Both are equally great!
Submitted by: Recipe created by DaVita patient Ken and submitted by DaVita renal dietitian Kelly from Louisiana.
Nutrients per serving
Protein 23 g
Carbohydrates 13 g
Fat 20 g
Cholesterol 222 mg
Sodium 165 mg
Potassium 290 mg
Phosphorus 254 mg
Calcium 70 mg
Fiber 1.1 g
Kidney and kidney diabetic food choices
- 3 meat
- 1 starch
- 1/2 vegetable, medium potassium
- 1 fat
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
900,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register