- CKD non-dialysis
- Lower Protein
- 1-1/2 cups shredded cabbage
- 1/2 cup red onion
- 1/2 bunch cilantro
- 1 garlic clove
- 2 limes
- 1 pound fresh raw shrimp, medium-size
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 12 corn tortillas, 6-inch size
- Shred the cabbage; chop the onion and cilantro; mince the garlic. Set aside.
- Shell and devein the shrimp then place in a dish and squeeze lime juice from half a lime over shrimp. Sprinkle with minced garlic, cumin, chili powder and 1 tablespoon of the olive oil. Turn shrimp to coat with marinade and refrigerate for 15 to 30 minutes.
- Make the salsa blanca by combining mayonnaise, sour cream, milk and juice of half a lime. Stir to combine and place in the refrigerator to chill.
- In a large skillet heat the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil over medium-high heat. Add shrimp and cook and stir 2 to 4 minutes until shrimp turns pink. Remove shrimp from skillet. Do not overcook.
- Heat the corn tortillas, one by one, in a pan, until soft and warm. Wrap them in a clean dish towel to keep them warm until ready to serve tacos.
- To assemble tacos place 4 shrimp on each tortilla and top with salsa blanca, cabbage, red onion, cilantro and lime wedges. Add hot sauce if desired.
- Use frozen, thawed shrimp instead of fresh if desired.
- Compare hot sauce brands and select the one lowest in sodium.
Submitted by: DaVita renal dietitian Sara from California.
Nutrients per serving
Protein 19 g
Carbohydrates 30 g
Fat 22 g
Cholesterol 134 mg
Sodium 235 mg
Potassium 392 mg
Phosphorus 355 mg
Calcium 177 mg
Fiber 4.2 g
Kidney and kidney diabetic food choices
- 2 meat
- 2 starch
- 1/2 vegetable, medium potassium
- 2 fat
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
900,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register