Sweet and Sour Oriental Shrimp
1-1/4 cups over 1/2 cup rice
- 2 tablespoons celery
- 2 tablespoons onion
- 1/2 cup green bell pepper
- 1/2 cup canned, sliced water chestnuts
- 1/2 cup carrots
- 16 ounces large shell-on shrimp, uncooked
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1/4 teaspoon hot chili oil
- 2 cups hot cooked white rice
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 tablespoon packed brown sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon ginger root
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- Dice celery and onion. Slice bell pepper and carrots. Peel and de-vein shrimp.
- Place carrots in a microwave safe dish. Add 2 tablespoons water, cover and cook for 3 minutes. Drain.
- Heat both oils in a large nonstick frying pan or wok. Add celery, onion, green bell pepper and drained water chestnuts. Stir-fry for 3 minutes. Add the cooked carrots and heat. Add shrimp and continue to stir and simmer until the shrimp just turns pink, about 2 minutes. Remove frying pan from heat.
- In a small bowl mix together lemon juice, water, brown sugar, soy sauce, grated ginger root and cornstarch.
- Stir mixture and add to the vegetables and shrimp. Bring to a boil, then reduce to medium heat. Cook until sauce is thickened.
- Divide into 4 portions and serve each over 1/2 cup hot rice.
- Use a frozen oriental vegetable blend with similar composition to replace the fresh vegetables and frozen shrimp when you are in a hurry.
Submitted by: Recipe from “Cooking for David: A Culinary Dialysis Cookbook” by Sara Colman, RD, CSR, CDE and Dorothy Gordon, RN.
Nutrients per serving
Protein 21 g
Carbohydrates 35 g
Fat 5 g
Cholesterol 166 mg
Sodium 284 mg
Potassium 296 mg
Phosphorus 167 mg
Calcium 78 mg
Fiber 2.4 g
Kidney and kidney diabetic food choices
- 2 meat
- 1-1/2 starch
- 1 vegetable low potassium
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
900,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register