- CKD non-dialysis
- 1 cup pearl barley, uncooked
- 1 pound lean beef stew meat
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose white flour
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/2 cup onion
- 1 large stalk celery
- 1 garlic clove
- 2 medium carrots
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon Mrs. Dash® onion herb seasoning
- Soak barley in 2 cups of water for 1 hour.
- Dice onion and celery. Mince garlic clove. Slice carrots 1/4-inch thick. Cut beef into 1-1/2 inch cubes.
- Place flour, black pepper and stew meat in a plastic bag. Shake to dust stew meat with flour.
- Heat oil in a heavy 4-quart pot and brown the stew meat. Remove meat from pot.
- Sauté and stir onion, celery and garlic in meat drippings for 2 minutes. Add 2 quarts of water and bring to a boil. Return meat to the pot. Add bay leaves and salt. reduce heat to a simmer.
- Drain and rinse barley, then add to the pot. Cover and cook for 1 hour. Stir every 15 minutes.
- After 1 hour add sliced carrots and Mrs. Dash® herb seasoning. Simmer for another hour. Add additional water if needed to prevent sticking.
- For a CKD non-dialysis lower protein diet, decrease beef to 8 ounces per recipe. Protein will be decreased to 14 grams per serving.
Nutrients per serving
Protein 22 g
Carbohydrates 21 g
Fat 8 g
Cholesterol 51 mg
Sodium 222 mg
Potassium 369 mg
Phosphorus 175 mg
Calcium 30 mg
Fiber 6.3 g
Renal and renal diabetic food choices
- 3 meat
- 1 vegetable medium potassium
- 1 starch
Submitted by: From "Cooking for David: A Culinary Dialysis Cookbook" By Sara Colman, RD, CSR, CDE and Dorothy Gordon, RN Submitted by Sara Colman.
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
851,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register