1-cup chili plus 1/2-cup rice
- Lower Protein
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 cup onion
- 1 cup celery
- 1 cup carrots
- 1 cup green pepper
- 1-1/2 pounds chicken, boneless, skinless, cooked
- 14 ounces low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup low-sodium diced tomatoes
- 1 cup kidney beans
- 3/4 cup salsa
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground Mexican oregano
- 1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 4 cups white rice, cooked
- Chop garlic, onion, celery, carrots and green pepper. Dice cooked chicken.
- Pour oil in a large stock pot.
- Sauté garlic, onion, celery, carrot and green pepper until soft.
- Add low-sodium broth and bring to a boil.
- Drain tomatoes. Drain and rinse kidney beans.
- Add chicken, beans, tomatoes, salsa, chili powder and oregano to sauted vegetables. Simmer for 1 hour.
- Serve 1-cup chili over 1/2-cup white rice. Top each serving with 1 tablespoon grated sharp cheddar cheese and 1 tablespoon sour cream.
- 1-1/2 punds cooked chicken is approximately 3 cups. If you wish, use a stewing chicken or a pre-cooked rotisserie chicken. Pull meat from bones and chop.
- Compare brands and buy the lowest sodium canned and bottled ingredients.
- Freeze 1 cup portions for a quick meal later.
- Recipe is easy to reduce for a smaller batch.
- If you are on a protein-limited diet, adjust this recipe by decreasing the portion of meat and cheese.
Submitted by: DaVita renal dietitian Elizabeth from Pennsylvania.
Nutrients per serving
Protein 24 g
Carbohydrates 38 g
Fat 12 g
Cholesterol 59 mg
Sodium 348 mg
Potassium 653 mg
Phosphorus 270 mg
Calcium 133 mg
Fiber 4.7 g
Kidney and kidney diabetic food choices
- 3 meat
- 1-1/2 vegetable, medium and high potassium
- 2 starch
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
900,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register