Chicken Wild Rice Soup
- CKD non-dialysis
- Lower Protein
- 2/3 cup long grain and wild rice blend, uncooked
- 1 tablespoon onion, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley
- 1 cup carrots
- 8 ounces chicken breast, cooked
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose white flour
- 5 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon slivered almonds (optional)
- Combine rice with 2 cups broth 1/2 cup water. Cook in a rice cooker or on the stove top.
- Mince onion and parsley. Grate carrots. Chop chicken.
- Melt butter in a saucepan; add onion and sauté until tender.
- Blend in flour; gradually add chicken broth.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens slightly.
- Stir in rice, chicken, and carrots. Simmer 5 minutes.
- Add almonds and garnish with chopped parsley before serving.
- Prepare rice according to package, omitting salt or seasoning package if included.
Submitted by: DaVita renal dietitian Gail, MPH RD LN, from Minnesota.
Nutrients per serving
Protein 21 g
Carbohydrates 35 g
Fat 7 g
Cholesterol 42 mg
Sodium 182 mg
Potassium 384 mg
Phosphorus 217 mg
Calcium 45 mg
Fiber 1.6 g
Kidney and kidney diabetic food choices
- 2 meat
- 2 starch
- 1 vegetable. low potassium
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
900,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register