Creamy Broccoli Soup
- CKD non-dialysis
- Lower Protein
- 2 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 3 cups broccoli florets
- 8 ounces silken tofu, undrained
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- In a large pot, boil the broccoli florets and tofu (with liquid) in the vegetable broth until tender. Set aside to cool.
- Carefully pour the cooled contents of the pot into a large mixing bowl and blend until smooth using an immersion blender. Alternately, carefully pour contents of the pot into a large blender. Remove top stopper to allow steam to vent. Blend until smooth.
- In a small bowl, combine 1-1/2 cups of the soup with the cornstarch. Whisk until smooth.
- Pour soup back into the pot, add cornstarch mixture and bring to a boil. Stir in nutritional yeast and spices until well combined.
- Tofu is a high biological value vegetarian protein source.
- This soup is a great choice for those with chewing or swallowing difficulty.
- Use low-sodium chicken broth instead of vegetable broth if desired.
- Adjust the black pepper and chili flakes to your taste.
Submitted by: DaVita dietitian Brittany from Virginia
Nutrients per serving
Protein 4 g
Carbohydrates 10 g
Fat 1 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 71 mg
Potassium 289 mg
Phosphorus 90 mg
Calcium 46 mg
Fiber 1.7 g
Kidney and kidney diabetic food choices
- 1/2 meat/protein
- 1 vegetable, medium potassium
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
900,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register