Easy Chicken and Veggie Soup
- CKD non-dialysis
- Lower Protein
- 6 cups vegetable broth (made from veggie scraps and water)
- 1 pound chicken wings (or carcass from cooked chicken)
- 1 cup rice, uncooked
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups mixed vegetables (frozen or leftovers)
- In a large pot or slow cooker combine 6 cups water, veggie scraps, chicken wings and spices. Simmer on stovetop or on slow cooker high setting for a few hours until chicken is thoroughly cooked.
- Strain and return broth to the pot. Discard veggie scraps.
- Remove meat from the chicken bones and return meat to the pot. Chicken will be hot! Wait a few minutes until it can be handled.
- Add the mixed vegetables and rice to the broth. Simmer about 45 minutes until the rice is cooked.
- Add additional spices to taste.
- Substitute 1/2 cup quinoa for the rice if desired, however quinoa is higher in potassium and phosphorus.
- Freezes well. Divide into individual servings for a quick meal later.
- Leftover chicken and vegetables work well with this recipe
Submitted by: DaVita dietitian Lynn from Maryland
Nutrients per serving
Protein 12 g
Carbohydrates 34 g
Fat 6 g
Cholesterol 50 mg
Sodium 250 mg
Potassium 287 mg
Phosphorus 173 mg
Calcium 38 mg
Fiber 3.3 g
Kidney and kidney diabetic food choices
- 1 meat
- 2 starch
- 1 vegetable, medium potassium
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
900,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register