- 1-1/4 pounds lean ground beef
- 1 cup onion
- 1/2 cup bell pepper
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 cup Mexican-style stewed tomatoes with jalapeno peppers and spices
- 2 cups spiral macaroni, cooked
- Chop onion and bell pepper.
- In a large nonstick skillet, cook the ground round over medium-high heat until brown, stirring to crumble.
- Add onion, bell pepper, water, chili powder, sugar, cumin and garlic. Cook for 7 minutes or until onion is tender.
- Stir in the tomatoes (undrained); bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, partially covered, for 1 hour.
- Add cooked pasta and cook 15 minutes. Serve hot.
- Since this chili has 559 mg potassium it is important not to exceed the 1-1/2 cup portion size. To complete your meal you may want to include low sodium crackers, a roll or slice of bread.
Submitted by: DaVita dietitian Shelli from Michigan.
Nutrients per serving
Protein 26 g
Carbohydrates 30 g
Fat 15 g
Cholesterol 69 mg
Sodium 389 mg
Potassium 559 mg
Phosphorus 205 mg
Calcium 43 mg
Fiber 3.3 g
Kidney and kidney diabetic food choices
- 3 meat
- 1-1/2 starch
- 1 vegetable, medium potassium
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
900,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register