- CKD non-dialysis
- Lower Protein
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, uncooked
- 1-1/2 cups onion
- 1-1/2 cups celery
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup fresh carrots
- 1 cup fresh green beans
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose white flour
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 32 ounces reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup 1% low fat milk
- 2 cups frozen green peas
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Cut chicken into bite-size pieces. Dice onion and celery. Peel and slice carrots.Cut green beans into 2-inch pieces.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, lightly brown chicken for 5 to 6 minutes. Remove from heat.
- In a separate skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat and sauté onion and celery for 5 minutes.
- Add chicken pieces, carrots, green beans, flour, oregano, basil, nutmeg and thyme. Mix well and cook for 3 minutes.
- Transfer ingredients to a 4-quart pan. Add broth and milk; bring to a boil.
- Stir peas into soup and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add pepper to taste before serving.
- Reduced-sodium broth usually contains between 480 mg to 600 mg sodium per cup.
- One medium onion yields 1/2-cup diced.
- Count one serving as 4 ounces liquid, if you are limiting fluids.
- Rice milk or almond milk can be used instead of 1% low fat milk. Compare labels and look for the lowest potassium and phosphorus content.
Nutrients per serving
Protein 14 g
Carbohydrates 12 g
Fat 3 g
Cholesterol 32 mg
Sodium 343 mg
Potassium 467 mg
Phosphorus 171 mg
Calcium 67 mg
Fiber 2.8 g
Renal and renal diabetic food choices
- 1-1/2 meat
- 1/2 starch
- 1 vegetable, medium potassium
Submitted by: Recipe created by DaVita social worker Linda, and submitted by DaVita dietitian Kristy from Michigan.
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
851,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register