Hungarian Sour Cherry Soup
- CKD non-dialysis
- Lower Protein
- 1-1/2 cup fresh cherries
- 3 cups water
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/16 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose white flour
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- Remove pits from cherries.
- Add water to a medium sauce pan together with cherries, sugar and salt. Bring to a boil then simmer at a very low heat for 10 minutes.
- Remove 2 tablespoons of liquid and set aside for garnish.
- Remove another 1/4 cup of the liquid and allow to cool slightly.
- Whisk together with the flour and sour cream then return to the sauce pan.
- Simmer for another 5 minutes over low heat.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Serve in a soup bowl. Swirl in the reserved cherry juice as a garnish.
- Alter the sugar or Splenda to your taste.
- If Splenda or other sugar replacement is substituted for sugar the carbohydrate is 16 grams per serving which equals one Carbohydrate Choice.
- Look for canned cherries in juice or light syrup to make this an even easier recipe.
- This is an excellent light lunch for those who have no taste for meat, fish, poultry, etc. To increase the protein content add protein powder as advised by your renal dietitian. Two scoops of ProSource® or ProCel® protein powder are excellent additions.
Submitted by: DaVita dietitian Anne from Pennsylvania.
Nutrients per serving
Protein 2 g
Carbohydrates 25 g
Fat 4 g
Cholesterol 12 mg
Sodium 57 mg
Potassium 144 mg
Phosphorus 40 mg
Calcium 47 mg
Fiber 1.0 g
Kidney and kidney diabetic food choices
- 1/2 fruit, low potassium
- 1 high calorie
- 1 fat
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
900,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register