- CKD non-dialysis
- Lower Protein
- 6 cups water
- 1 pound lamb stew meat
- 1 cup onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 cups zucchini
- 3 ounces green chilies, canned
- 2 cups all-purpose white flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Measure water and put in a stew pot.
- Trim fat from meat and cut into bite-size pieces. Add meat and bones to water. Set on stove over medium heat.
- Coarsely chop onion. Cut zucchini in half lengthwise and sliced into 1/2” slices
- Add onion, zucchini and chilies to stew.
- Once the stew has come to a low boil, turn heat to low and let simmer for at least 1 hour.
- While stew is cooking, mix flour, salt, baking powder and sugar in a bowl.
- Knead in warm water to dry ingredients to form a soft ball of dough.
- Cover dough and let it rest for 20 to 30 minutes.
- After cooking stew for 1 hour, shape an approximately 2-1/2” dough ball into a flat round. (It does not need to be perfect or flat).
- Tear off penny-sized pieces of dough and drop them into the stew.
- Continue to shape 2-1/2” dough ball into a flat round and tear off penny-sized pieces of dough and drop in stew until all dough is in stew.
- Cook dumplings in the stew for an additional 20 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy.
- Roast 2-3 Hatch chilies instead of canned chilies.
- Learn more about Hatch chilies from Hatch, New Mexico.
Nutrients per serving
Protein 18 g
Carbohydrates 28 g
Fat 12 g
Cholesterol 55 mg
Sodium 357 mg
Potassium 364 mg
Phosphorus 288 mg
Calcium 129 mg
Fiber 1.8 g
Renal and renal diabetic food choices
- 2 meat
- 1 vegetable, medium potassium
- 1-1/2 starch
Submitted by: DaVita renal dietitian Miriam from Arizona.
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
851,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register