- CKD non-dialysis
- Lower Protein
- 1 medium green bell pepper
- 1 medium onion
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 stalk celery with leaves
- 4 green onion tops
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 cups water
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 8 ounces shrimp, uncooked
- 6 ounces crab meat
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon Tabasco® hot sauce
- 3 cups cooked rice
Chop bell pepper, onion, garlic, celery, green onion tops and parsley.
To make a roux, heat oil and flour in a large skillet over medium heat. Stir constantly until flour is pecan colored.
Add bell pepper, onion, garlic, celery and 1 cup water to the roux. Cover and cook on very low heat until vegetables are tender.
Increase heat to high and add 2 cups water and 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth. Boil for 5 minutes.
Reduce to medium heat and add shrimp and crab meat. Boil 10 minutes.
Add green onion tops and parsley. Reduce to low heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
Season with pepper and hot sauce and serve over rice.
- Roux varies in flavor, depending on how long the flour is cooked. For a deeper flavor, cook the roux until it is the color of coffee with cream added.
- Use fresh, frozen or canned lump crabmeat.
Nutrients per serving
Protein 18 g
Carbohydrates 37 g
Fat 11 g
Cholesterol 75 mg
Sodium 480 mg
Potassium 370 mg
Phosphorus 246 mg
Calcium 80 mg
Fiber 1.8 g
Added Sugar 0 g
Renal and renal diabetic food choices
- 2 starch
- 1 vegetable, low potassium
Submitted by: DaVita renal dietitian Celeste from Colorado.
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
851,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register