- CKD non-dialysis
- Lower Protein
- 1 pound chicken breast, boneless, skinless, cooked
- 1 tablespoon onion
- 4 celery stalks
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley
- 1 cup fresh carrots
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 7-1/2 cups water
- 5 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup frozen mixed vegetables
- Dice chicken and set aside. Chop onion, celery and parsley; slice carrots 1/2-inch thick.
- Sauté butter and onion in a 4-quart pot for 5 minutes, until tender.
- Add water and chicken broth and bring to a boil.
- Add chicken, celery, parsley and pepper, then cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add carrots, cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add frozen vegetables, cover and simmer 20 minutes longer.
Look for reduced sodium broth containing 500 milligrams sodium or less per 1 cup serving. Avoid low sodium broths and bouillons containing potassium chloride—it’s very high in potassium. Recommended brands include Health Valley No Salt, Fat Free Chicken Broth (800-423-4846), Kitchen Basics Natural Chicken Stock and Swanson 50% Less Sodium Chicken Broth.
- If you are on hemodialysis or restricted fluid, be sure to count liquid in the soup as part of your fluid allowance for the day.
Nutrients per serving
Protein 13 g
Carbohydrates 5 g
Fat 3 g
Cholesterol 31 mg
Sodium 301 mg
Potassium 274 mg
Phosphorus 116 mg
Calcium 27 mg
Fiber 1.6 g
Renal and renal diabetic food choices
- 2 meat
- 1 vegetable, low potassium
Submitted by: DaVita dietitian Melissa from Indiana.
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
851,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register