- CKD non-dialysis
- Lower Protein
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 medium onion
- 1/2 pound fresh lump crab meat
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup half & half creamer
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon Old Bay Seasoning®
- 1/8 teaspoon dill weed
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
Melt butter in a large pot over moderate heat.
Chop onion and add to pot. Cook, stirring until onion becomes soft and transparent.
Add crab meat. Cook 2 to 3 minutes, stirring constantly.
Add chicken broth and bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat to low.
Combine half & half creamer and cornstarch in a small bowl. Whisk until smooth. Add to soup and increase heat slightly, stirring constantly until mixture thickens and comes to a boil.
Add dill weed, Old Bay seasoning® and pepper to soup. Ready to serve.
- Fresh Maryland lump crabmeat is best, but other varieties or imitation crab can be used if unavailable.
- Old Bay Seasoning® is a popular seasoning made from celery seed, salt, mustard, red pepper, black pepper, bay leaves, cloves, allspice ginger, mace, cardamom, cinnamon, and paprika. It contains 160 mg sodium for 1/4 teaspoon. If unavailable, substitute another low-sodium seasoning or spice mix.
- Look for low-sodium broth containing less than 250 mg sodium per cup. Avoid low-sodium broth that contains potassium chloride—it’s very high in potassium. Reduced-sodium broth containing 500 milligrams sodium or less per 1 cup serving is also a good choice in limited amounts.
Nutrients per serving
Protein 12 g
Carbohydrates 7 g
Fat 6 g
Cholesterol 53 mg
Sodium 212 mg
Potassium 312 mg
Phosphorus 80 mg
Calcium 86 mg
Fiber 0.4 g
Added Sugar 0
Renal and renal diabetic food choices
- 1-1/2 meat
- 1/2 starch
- 1/2 vegetable, medium potassium
Submitted by: DaVita dietitian Lynne from Maryland.
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
851,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register