Mexican Meatball Soup (Albondigas)
3 meatballs + 3/4 cup liquid with 1/3 cup veggies
- CKD non-dialysis
- Higher Potassium
- 1 medium onion
- 1 large carrot
- 1 small zucchini
- 1/2 cup cilantro
- 48 ounces low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 4 ounces canned diced green chiles
- 4 ounces unsalted tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne chili pepper (adjust to taste)
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 cup cooked white rice
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400° F. Finely chop 1/4th of the onion and set aside until ready to make the meatballs. Dice the remaining onion, carrot and zucchini into 3/4-inch dice pieces. Chop the cilantro.
- Pour broth into a pot and heat over medium heat. Add the diced vegetables, 1 teaspoon cumin, green chiles, tomato sauce, 1/4 cup cilantro, lime juice, paprika salt and cayenne pepper. Cover the pot and reduce to low heat.
- In a medium bowl, combine egg, 1 teaspoon cumin and garlic. Add in ground beef, cooked rice and reserved finely chopped onion. Mix until combined.
- Form mixture into meatballs about 1-1/2-inch diameter to make 18 meatballs. Place on a parchment-lined baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes until browned and cooked through. Cool meatballs for 5 minutes.
- Add meatballs and remaining 1/4 cup cilantro to the soup and simmer for 10 minutes before serving.
- Meatballs can be cooked in the broth instead of baked if desired, but will make the broth cloudy. Add uncooked meatballs to hot broth, cover and cook over medium heat for 30 minutes.
- Serve soup with corn tortillas if desired.
Submitted by: DaVita dietitian Sara from California
Nutrients per serving
Protein 21 g
Carbohydrates 11 g
Fat 10 g
Cholesterol 75 mg
Sodium 373 mg
Potassium 546 mg
Phosphorus 206 mg
Calcium 47 mg
Fiber 2.0 g
Added Sugar 0 g
Kidney and kidney diabetic food choices
- 2-1/2 meat
- 1/2 starch
- 1 vegetable, medium potassium
Save a Recipe
Access free kidney-friendly cookbooks from DaVita dietitians.
900,000+ Enjoyed So Far!
See kidney-friendly food and drink choices to consider when eating out at your favorite restaurants. Choose from 12 cuisine types.
Save a Recipe
Review a Recipe
Write a Comment
Already have a myDaVita account? Sign in or register